Topic 6: Balance

Go down

Topic 6: Balance

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:26 am

BALANCE (BAL encz)
1. A weighing device consisting of a horizontal beam with pans of equal weight on each end
2. A stable state characterized by cancellation of all forces by equal opposing forces
3. A stable mental or psychological state

Our response to balance is intimately linked to our earliest childhood discoveries of our bodies. We instinctively value balance because it is necessary to stand, run, escape. From this primal physical reality we derive our general preference for balance in composition.

Except for brief moments on a roller coaster most people do not want to be off balance. Our sense of balance is so important, in fact, that it is one of the most delicate instruments of our skeletal system. Even a minor ear infection can distort our sense of balance so severely that we are unable to move.

Most of us need balance in the large issues of our lives, things like landscape, architecture, diet and relationships. Perhaps we look to art and design in the same way we enjoy a roller-coaster ride: an opportunity to temporarily suspend our sense of balance in a controlled situation. We know the ride will end, and we know we can turn away from the painting if the lack of stability becomes threatening.

The first requirement for balance is control. It is one thing to give up balance knowing you can achieve it again and again and quite another to be out of balance, adrift or askew.

Balance is one of the goals of design, a sense that the visual weight of one part of a composition balances out the visual weight of another part. One of the goals of your life ought to be balance. Describe one thing you do regularly just for fun, and how you balance it with one responsible thing you do regularly.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  Jamison on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:32 am

i like to play video games alot. I balance my video game use with my schoolwork. I make sure that i have enough time to do both but schoolwork comes first.

Jamison

Back to top Go down

Balancing Act

Post  Samantha on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:33 am

I balance a social life, school/homework, cheer, working out, and sleeping. Sometimes I eat.

Samantha

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  greg on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:33 am

i play tennis for fun, i have to balance that with all of my homework. i also have to balance that with when i have to drive my siblings around. it can be tough sometimes but i still enjoy playing tennis.

greg

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 6: Balance

Post  Furball on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:35 am

I fish and drive for fun. Fishing helps me relax and take my mind off the things that irritate me. Driving is another thing that keeps me relaxed because i can push the accelerator down and get my anger out that way.

Furball

Back to top Go down

balance

Post  A blank on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:36 am

One thing i do for fun is play volleyball. Volleyball is what i love, and it makes me feel confident that i have the talents to play. Volleyball is what i do for fun because i love the sport. Although, i play volleyball every night, i have to balance it out with my schoolwork. Every day when i come home from school i do all my schoolwork so i don't have to worry about it later. And since volleyball ends at 8, I'm too lazy to come home and do more homework. Balance is key to being successful.

A blank

Back to top Go down

Post  LexiO on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:38 am

For fun i play soccer. Soccer makes me happy and i love to play. it takes all my stress and i have to balance practice and workouts with school work. If both were not balanced then my grades in school wouldn't be good and if i lacked playing soccer then my skills would decrease.

LexiO

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  Hootie on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:39 am

I eat everyday just for fun. i love to eat. Eating is my favorte thing to do besides playing sports. My diet is very balanced.

Hootie

Back to top Go down

balance

Post  Mary K on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:40 am

I balance out my social life, sleeping time, school time. The most fun is watching mystery movies with my mother which is at night or just listen to music and talk to friends. I usually get the things that needs to get done (Chores, homework, etc.) is after school after a short break/snack.

Mary K

Back to top Go down

Post  Becca M. on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:41 am

For fun, i like to watch movies, scary, funny, and war movies. Its like watching someone else's life and learning about them. My top favorite movies are, to save a life, hotrod, lord of the rings, disturbia, shutter island, orphan, harry potter, and troy. I try to be responsible by watching appropiate movies.

Becca M.

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  KFreeman on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:42 am

Balance is a key point in life. If there is no balance then there will be chaos. Balance in the world is good cause if the balance of good and evil in the world is not balanced. Balance in my life is being conservative of your spare time.

KFreeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Olivia T on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 am

For fun, I get my fingernails and toenails shaped, painted, and designed. I love choosing designs for nails, especially if the designs are seasonal. I get a lot of joy from admiring the finished project and having others compliment my nails. Nails are so crucial to my overall being, if I had to choose between eating out for dinner or getting my nails done; I'd choose nails. I balance this fun work with the responsibility of household chores. I hate to work within the first 24 hour period of getting my nails done, because I fear scarring or scratching the paint job. I try to do the laundry and dishes before I get my nails done, but if I don't do chores ahead of time, they won't be done. I live in fear of removing the paint or losing a glued on gem, however, once I mess up one nail, I feel more comfortable doing housework because that fear is no longer necessary.

Olivia T

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric D on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 am

The thing I love to do the most is playing any kind of competitive sports. I balance this with work that needs to be done. Whether the work is homework or work that is just needed to be done around the house.

Eric D

Back to top Go down

Balanceeeee.

Post  Ashley H on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 am

Balance in my life would have to consist of simplicity & chaos. I tend to run around & constantly have something to do. But then theres Sundays, where i literally lock myself in my room and do nothing but work/relax.

Ashley H

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy c on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:26 am

One thing i do for fun is play football. I love playing football and its a good thing to do outside and lets you be physical. I balance that by working. I work weekends and during summer i worked every day usually from 8 until 7.

jimmy c

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  Trent Ki on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:14 am

I try to balance my homework with other things like talking to friends or hanging out with friends. I also try to limit my time on the computer .

Trent Ki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down