Topic 6: Balance

Go down

Topic 6: Balance

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:33 am

BALANCE (BAL encz)
1. A weighing device consisting of a horizontal beam with pans of equal weight on each end
2. A stable state characterized by cancellation of all forces by equal opposing forces
3. A stable mental or psychological state

Our response to balance is intimately linked to our earliest childhood discoveries of our bodies. We instinctively value balance because it is necessary to stand, run, escape. From this primal physical reality we derive our general preference for balance in composition.

Except for brief moments on a roller coaster most people do not want to be off balance. Our sense of balance is so important, in fact, that it is one of the most delicate instruments of our skeletal system. Even a minor ear infection can distort our sense of balance so severely that we are unable to move.

Most of us need balance in the large issues of our lives, things like landscape, architecture, diet and relationships. Perhaps we look to art and design in the same way we enjoy a roller-coaster ride: an opportunity to temporarily suspend our sense of balance in a controlled situation. We know the ride will end, and we know we can turn away from the painting if the lack of stability becomes threatening.

The first requirement for balance is control. It is one thing to give up balance knowing you can achieve it again and again and quite another to be out of balance, adrift or askew.

Balance is one of the goals of design, a sense that the visual weight of one part of a composition balances out the visual weight of another part. One of the goals of your life ought to be balance. Describe one thing you do regularly just for fun, and how you balance it with one responsible thing you do regularly.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  Kat on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:24 am

One thing I do for fun is painting and I balance that with all the chores I have at the house by setting aside a day or 2 a week for an hour to just paint or draw whatever comes to mind. I balance this by making sure everything is done before the weekend that way I have those 2 days to just chill.

Kat

Back to top Go down

balance

Post  jacob h on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 am

One thing i have to balance in life is school and sports. If you don't balance these two things your going to have a hard time being good at them.

jacob h

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 6: Balance

Post  miranda on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 am

for fun, I play guitar or listen to music, do stuff online and read. I balance that with teaching 5th grade girls on Sundays, and seeking God and all that. spiritual things are a big part of my life, as well as music and art.

miranda

Back to top Go down

Post  Shelby M on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 am

I balance facebook with schoolwork. I have to manage my time getting on facebook because if I am on it too much then I'll never do my homework.

Shelby M

Back to top Go down

Post  wesley on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 am

I regularly go fishing and i balance this out with getting all of my work done.

wesley

Back to top Go down

Post  cohen r on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:30 am

I balance playing sports and keeping up with my school work. I usually make sure i have my homework done then i will go play sports such as basketball or surfing.

cohen r

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  Erik B on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 am

I like to play video games for fun. Some things I do to balance this are working at home, and practicing trombone.

Erik B

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheney B on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 am

The thing I do for fun is going to parties with my friends. I love going to parties with my friends because they let loose and start to act crazy. The one responsible thing I do is go to work and make money.

Cheney B

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:32 am

I balance horseback riding with school. I have a keep all my grades up and do all my school work first before I can go out and ride.

Amanda

Back to top Go down

Facebook

Post  Michelle on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 am

I balance my life with facebook. I manage to get work done while spending time on facebook. I balance out my time on facebook with my family and school work.

Michelle

Back to top Go down

Softball

Post  Hannah on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 am

One thing I balance in my life is softball. This in turn has to balanced with all my schoolwork and house work. Sometimes this can be difficult because of practice right after school and games. With that said i still have maintained a 3.5 GPA (:[/color]

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Balance

Post  DaKicker on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:35 am

I balance kicking footballs with kicking soccer balls. Kicking footballs requires focus, effort, and I have to work a lot on it to do it the right way. Kicking soccer balls is a lot more relaxed and fun. I usually do it just to let out steam.

DaKicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Caitlin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:27 am

One thing I balance is my chores at home with the amount of time I spend out doing fun things. I have responsibilities at home that I have to make sure I make time for so I keep a good balance between how much time I spend gone and having fun with the time I spend at home.

Caitlin

Back to top Go down

UHH not another one : )

Post  Elizabet on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:34 am

i balance my social life with my school life is by setting certain times out for when i can hang out with my friends. Also i keep my school life aside from my social outings and dont let the times conflict causing my life to be unbalanced.

Elizabet

Back to top Go down

not another one! geeze! :D

Post  b-fos on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:34 am

one way that I use balance in my life is balancing my school work and my church time. I have a lot of homework that needs to get done but i have church 3x a week. So i balance out church, school and my family time.

b-fos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down