Topic 4: Critique

Go down

Topic 4: Critique

Post  Admin on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:02 am

CRITIQUE (kri TEEK)
1. A critical review or commentary, especially dealing with art
2. A critical discussion of a specific topic
3. The art of criticism

A critique is a staple part of design. It is a chance to examine work in a unique situation, pulled out, or separated from usual experience for this focused evaluation.

There are many forces at work in critique - the culture of the maker, the culture of the viewer, the language of the critic, the context of the viewing, and so on. A critique should be a dialogue that encourages participation from all interested parties. In some cases this is a literal dialogue, or conversation between participants. Even when this is not the case, for instance when a critique is published in a magazine, a responsible reader will "talk back" to the critic as a means of of clarifying personal opinion.

Because criticism is largely (but not entirely) based on comparison, critique must take place within a context. To say, "This is good" begs the question, "Compared to what?" or "Good for what?" We critique, say, Michelangelo's paintings and find them to be good , within the unspoken parameters of Western ideals of the human figure, a Renaissance understanding of Christianity, and the confines of the medium.

Though one meaning of criticism has a negative connotation ("You're always criticizing me!") the more common usage does not imply a negative response, but simply a straightforward, deliberate consideration of the value of a work. A critic is not a person who doesn't like anything, but a person with special skills of evaluation.

Name something you know enough about to critique someone else's skills (e.g. painting, soccer, cooking, dancing, etc.) How do you determine whether someone is "good" at it?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

devin

Post  Casey on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 am

Devin Roberts contrasts me. He is much taller, Little bit less fast and is lazy about doing school work. HE plays football and hates soccer unlike me who loves soccer, and feels the need to beat up on little people which I fall under. and He stay healthy all the time whereas I am always ALWAYS sick. pale Devin and I like swimming, surfing, running, food sleeping, and staying up all night playing video games.

Casey

Back to top Go down

Morons

Post  Michael on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:24 am

Code:
I know a lot about soccer.  I sometimes watch soccer on T.V.  I know more than enough about soccer to criticize somebody.  Morons who call people "field fairies" obviously don't know anything about soccer and are idiots who are just judging other sports.  Generally they have no or little experience in the sport.  They have no reason to insult the sport if they don't know much about the sport.  When I judge and criticize people on soccer, I look at the ability with foot skills.  I also check if they have a powerful kick and know what they are doing on the field.

Michael

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 4: Critique

Post  brody on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:25 am

Something I know enough about to critique someone on is playing defense in football

brody

Back to top Go down

surfing

Post  devin on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:26 am

i know a lot about surfing i know that it takes a lot of skill and timing to surf. its the ability to stay balanced and leveled and picking the right day and time to go and surf. it takes more skill than most people understand. its an awesome and fun sport but keeps the competitive edge and excitement of a normal sport while also being in water which is awesome. surfing s also very dangerous though the problems with coral reefs and big waves and the water its self can make it more dangerous than most other sports. but its always rewarding and fun.
Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing Mad Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Neutral Arrow Idea Question What a Face Like a Star @ heaven Suspect I love you clown cyclops @ No pale silent tongue pirat alien cat monkey pig affraid confused bounce rabbit Basketball cheers bom drunken albino sunny Sleep rendeer santa cherry farao king queen scratch geek jocolor study elephant flower afro ................................ lol!

devin

Back to top Go down

Baseball

Post  Riley on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:27 am

People do not know enough about baseball. They go off and critique it without playing it. I know enough about baseball to critique them. People say it is boring without ever playing it. I have played it all my life so I have the right to do this. I know most everything about the game. This also gives me the right to critique someone.

Riley

Back to top Go down

soccer

Post  Taylor on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:28 am

I could critique someone on about soccer. I could look at their speed. I could critique their foot skills. I could critique their shooting ability. I could critique their accuracy. I could also critique myself, because I am not perfect. Surprised

Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  nightfall on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:28 am

I like to critique newbie hackers on what they are doing right and what the are doing wrong.
HTS!!!!!

nightfall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kylie on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:29 am

Something that I know enough about to Critique is softball. If there was a person who had never played before I would feel comfortable giving that person advice. Very Happy

Kylie

Back to top Go down

Critique

Post  Madison on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 am

I think I know enough about web design and collages to critique someone else. To see if someone is good at web designing or making collages I look at their technique. Usually it has to be the same technique as mine for me to determine what they did wrong and where they messed up. I don't make web design or collages professionally but I still love to do and people think my work is great!!! Overall, I think I am well enough at web design and collages to critique someone else. Very Happy flower

Madison

Back to top Go down

hack

Post  nightfall on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:36 am

Name something you know enough about to critique someone else's skills (e.g. painting, soccer, cooking, dancing, etc.) How do you determine whether someone is "good" at it

I like to critique newbie hackers, on whether they can complete what they are supposed to bypass
like a cheap weebly site.
You can determine whether they are good at it by their experience.

nightfall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

critique

Post  Elanee on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:36 am

I could critique someone on how to play soccer. I play soccer competitively and have a lot of experience. I have been trained by people who have played professional soccer all over Europe, like England and Scotland. I would look at someones ball control, foot skills, shooting, passing, and endurance. If you play soccer you should be able to dribble with speed while keeping the ball near your feet, and if you are more advanced you should be able to do feints, moves, and fakes to get b a defender. When someone is shooting they should be accurate, and have a strong direct shot. On passes people should be able to direct the ball to the persons feet or into space for them to run onto. People should use their instep or laces while shooting or passing. Lastly, it is also important to have endurance. Soccer has a lot of running and sprinting. The game lasts for 90 minutes and it is important to be able to last as long as you can and still have a good touch when your tired.

Elanee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Q. on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:36 am

I am good on computers so i could critique people on computers. Like, my friends i look how they play computer games and the way they get around on the internet.

Sean Q.

Back to top Go down

diving

Post  Casey on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:38 am

I know a lot about scuba diving and snorkeling. first you have to be a good swimmer. Secondly your lungs have to be strong , and always know where your boat is, it is very embarrassing to have to have the coast guard pick you up. first time snorkelers usually can't swim well don't pay attention to their boat and don't know to be careful of other boats, in other words they nearly get run over. If they learn to pay more attention and practice, they will do fine. Suspect cyclops cyclops cyclops cyclops

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:39 am

I like to get straight to the point and get stuff over with. When someone takes to long on something it does get on my nerves. If there is something I need to do I don't like to spend 2 hours on it. Just let me do the quickest way and all is better. But if you do need to take time on it and get perfection, then fine. If not, THEN JUST DO IT!

Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Presley on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:39 am

I am good at cooking. When somebody makes a good meal, I say, "This meal is good." When somebody makes a bad meal, I say, "This meal is bad." When people say that cooking is stupid, they are just saying that because they know that when their mom isn't going to cook them food anymore and their going to have to put up with McDonald's while I'm eating Caviar. You can always tell if they are good at cooking by if they put their own twist on the dish.

Presley

Back to top Go down

Post  connor on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:43 am

I know how to critique somebody on playing quarter back. They have to have good vision of the field and have to be able to make decisions very quickly. You have to have accuracy and have to be able to make a play when nobody is open. Quarter backs are the leaders of the team.

connor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down