Topic 9: Heirarchy

Go down

Topic 9: Heirarchy

Post  Admin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:51 am

HEIRARCHY (hi e RAR kee)
1. A body of elements arranged according to rank, authority or capacity
2. A body of entities arranged in a graded series

In the visual arts, hierarchy is the presentation of certain elements as more important than others. By conveying a clear sense of hierarchy an artist provides stability, sequence, and movement within a design.

In the absence of hierarchy, a viewer feels lost and ill at ease. A determined viewer might respond by creating a hierarchy, or by looking for subtle clues that were missed in the first viewing. Most viewers will simply move on.

Hierarchy can be established by using proximity, alignment, value, contrast, repetition, etc.

The time-honored tricks to test heirarchy are to either turn a composition upside-down , or stand back and squint your eyes. Though apparently childish, these techniques show the eye not what it "thinks" is the most obvious, but what really is most obvious.

Find an image of a movie poster. It must be an image file which has both text and picture(s). Post it here then describe it's heirarchy: what is the strongest element in the design? Why is that the first thing you see?

Example

The first thing I notice is their faces and the bright light above them. These stand in contrast to everything else in the picture. This poster does an excellent job with light and dark contrast and that is why I notice the light objects first, we are naturally drawn to them.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

heirarchy

Post  jamison on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:05 am

The strongest element is the color red. The red is the first thing i see.

jamison

Back to top Go down

twilight

Post  greg on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:08 am

the strongest element in this poster is the red ribbon. it is the first thing i see. this is because it is such a different color then her arm. and this is the artist or writers aim for this picture.

greg

Back to top Go down

The Dark Knight

Post  Jared R on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 am

The focal point of this poster is the red bat because it is the brightest color so it stands out much more than the other parts of the poster

Jared R

Back to top Go down

The Dark Knight

Post  Jared R on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:17 am

Jared R

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 9: Heirarchy

Post  Becca M. on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 am

The first thing I see are the people because the lightning and the color is different.

Becca M.

Back to top Go down

Post  Furball on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 am

This is a good illistration because yours are drawn to the guy in the front of the picture. pirat

Furball

Back to top Go down

HEIRARCHY

Post  M Kell on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 am

The first thing I see is the fingers in the eye. And the tan color stands out.

M Kell

Back to top Go down

heirarchy

Post  Trent Ki on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 am

The flying bike is the focal point of the picture.

Trent Ki

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:24 am

The first thing your eyes are drawn to is the helicopters flying away in the sunset. This picture uses great contrast of light because it shows the helicopters flying back to base before nightfall while the soldiers are going into the city at night.

Scott

Back to top Go down

yeah

Post  Samantha on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:29 am

The dolls eyes are the first thing i look at. Then Mary Shaw's creepy old finger. All of this poster is mostly dark or skin tones, the green eyes and the red bow create contrast.

Samantha

Back to top Go down

Post  Olivia T on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:37 am

[img]
The first thing that draws my eyes is Jennifer Lopez's face, mostly her big smile. Her smile is bright and since her teeth are white and everything else is dark around them, you notice them first. The black and white contrast is unoriginal, yet eye catching.

Olivia T

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down