Topic 9: Heirarchy

Go down

Topic 9: Heirarchy

Post  Admin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:52 am

HEIRARCHY (hi e RAR kee)
1. A body of elements arranged according to rank, authority or capacity
2. A body of entities arranged in a graded series

In the visual arts, hierarchy is the presentation of certain elements as more important than others. By conveying a clear sense of hierarchy an artist provides stability, sequence, and movement within a design.

In the absence of hierarchy, a viewer feels lost and ill at ease. A determined viewer might respond by creating a hierarchy, or by looking for subtle clues that were missed in the first viewing. Most viewers will simply move on.

Hierarchy can be established by using proximity, alignment, value, contrast, repetition, etc.

The time-honored tricks to test heirarchy are to either turn a composition upside-down , or stand back and squint your eyes. Though apparently childish, these techniques show the eye not what it "thinks" is the most obvious, but what really is most obvious.

Find an image of a movie poster. It must be an image file which has both text and picture(s). Post it here then describe it's heirarchy: what is the strongest element in the design? Why is that the first thing you see?

Example

The first thing I notice is their faces and the bright light above them. These stand in contrast to everything else in the picture. This poster does an excellent job with light and dark contrast and that is why I notice the light objects first, we are naturally drawn to them.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 9: Heirarchy

Post  Kat on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 am

the thing that stands out the most to me is the text and his face. the text contrast the darker background. also the side bar on the side of the poster contrast the darker colors and images on the poster.

Kat

Back to top Go down

hey hey movie poster

Post  Caitlin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:54 am

The first thing I notice about this poster is Jonah Hill's frightened face. Then I see Russel Brand's scary face behind him. Then after seeing these faces, your eyes are drawn to the title, which is in a contrasting color so it stands out.

Caitlin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:55 am

The First thing I noticed is the woman and the horse. The light behind them makes them easier to spot. They are also easier to spot because the crowd in the stands are faded behind them. The poster does a good job contrasting light and dark.

Amanda

Back to top Go down

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Post  Bradley on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 am

The first thing i see is all the anchors lined up. Then i see the title.Then i see the top words and then i see all the little text at the bottom

Bradley

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie p on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 am

The first thing that i see is the girl and the boy facing away from each other and the sun shinning through them.

Katie p

Back to top Go down

Post  cohen r on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 am

The first thing i see is Rod's face because its the biggest thing on the poster. Its also contrast because of the different colors in the middle and the white around the outside. Then the next thing i see is the movie title because the font is very large.

cohen r

Back to top Go down

Post  wesley on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 am

The first thing i notice are the two faces in a circle in the middle with light surrounding them, the light and dark contrast well thats why i noticed them first.

wesley

Back to top Go down

Heiarchy

Post  lmclean on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:02 am

when i first look at this i see the red apple and the symbolism it hold to the book. and then i see the two white hands holding the apple. finally you look at the title, Twlight.

lmclean

Back to top Go down

Heirerarchy

Post  Erik B on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:02 am

The strongest element in this design is the lights on his hands, eyes, and chest. This is the first thing you see because of the dark and light contrast. your eyes are drawn to the bright spots of the picture first.

Erik B

Back to top Go down

Post  miranda on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 am

the first thing I see in this poster is the torch because of the brightness of it compared to everything else in the poster, and the girl holding the torch. (I like the Harry Potter example)

miranda

Back to top Go down

moviee

Post  Cheney B on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:05 am

The first thing I notice is the guy laughing and all the guys holding guns. The first thing i noticed was the guy with a dirty neck brace on.

Cheney B

Back to top Go down

Spiderman!

Post  Michelle on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 am

The first thing i notice about this picture is spiderman and his enemies. Then I read the quote & it explains what the picture is about.

Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Shelby M on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 am

The title of the movie stands out because the white background contrasts with the blue lettering.

Shelby M

Back to top Go down

Not another forum dang it!

Post  Elizabet on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 am

The first thing I notice is Bruce the shark, also I notice the title of the movie Nemo. These stand in contrast because Bruce is larger than everything else and the title Nemo is bold and white while the background is blue. This helps us to notice the title of the movie and also it draws your attention because there is a large shark with big teeth on it

Elizabet

Back to top Go down

Hot Rod:smack destiny in the face

Post  cohen r on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 am

The first thing i see is Rod's face because its the biggest thing on the poster. Its also contrast because of the different colors in the middle and the white around the outside. Then the next thing i see is the movie title because the font is very large.

cohen r

Back to top Go down

Pursuit of Happiness

Post  Hannah on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 am

I think its cool how the light is shining in between the man and his son and that automatically draws my attention to the middle of the picture where the father and son are holding hands enjoying there new life not having to live in poverty. Then it draws me to the title which is written on the two characters. this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheney B on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 am

The first thing I noticed was the guys with guns, the guy laughing at nothing, and the guy with a dirty neck brace on.

Cheney B

Back to top Go down

movie poster

Post  ajsswim4 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:13 am

what i think shows the most in this picture is the batman sign in flames why i think that is bc its bright

ajsswim4

Back to top Go down

Pursuit of Happiness

Post  Hannah on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:17 am

First thing i see is the light in between the father and son. this symbolizes there fight to get out of poverty and start fresh.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Heirarchy

Post  DaKicker on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 am

This is a movie poster of ThunderCats HO! The Movie. The first thing that catches your eyes are the people with cat make up on. Considering its not the broadway show Cats and because its premiering in the 90's, you can assume its a terrible movie.

DaKicker

Back to top Go down

movie poster

Post  skidmore on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 am

The first thing you see in this poster is the picture and the guy in the picture. The reason you see it first is becouse its rite in the middle of the poster and its the first thing your eyes look at.

skidmore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down