Topic 10: Usability

Go down

Topic 10: Usability

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:15 am

USABILITY
Usability is a property of websites (and other systems and products) that relates to ease of use. Usability is commonly defined as having three core components:

1. Effectiveness - how well a task can be completed
2. Efficiency - how easy or quick it is to complete the task
3. Satisfaction - the user's perception or opinion of the system

Choose one of the following webpages
Answer these questions:
1. Is it immediately obvious what or who the site is about? Why or why not?

2. How clear is the main navigation? Can you spot what the main site sections are immediately, or do you have to guess ?

3. Is the text easy to read? Why or why not?

4. What would *you* do to improve the usability of this site?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

for misto aawon!

Post  Elizabet on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:28 am

No it is not obvious because the background is the first thing that graps your attention. I can pretty much see what the main site is because it is bolder than the rest of the text. The text is not that easy o read because the background is bright, colorful and moving. This makes it hard to read the text with out having to examine closely. I would put more organization into the site, change the background to a solid color, and get rid of the things that have nothing to do with the site such as the cat.

Elizabet

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 10: Usability

Post  Shelby M on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 am

I did the first website.
Yes because the text is big and in the middle.
The site is very easy to navigate. I do not have to guess where the main site sections are.
No because the background is very distracting.
I would not put the background so colorful because you focus more on the background than the text.

Shelby M

Back to top Go down

for misto aawon!

Post  bfos on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 am

no because that background is to distracting and i dont pay attention to the titles.
its clear because its bolder and bigger than the other titles.
the text is easy to red because the background keeps changing colors and you can see it.
i think i would change the background because its pretty but its too distracting.

bfos

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 am

Site 1
1. I can immediately see what the site is about which is accepting Jesus Christ's forgiveness.
2. The main navigation is difficult to see because of the moving rainbow back ground and aside from the that text is small and the color blue which causes the text to become unnoticeable when the color blue comes across the background.
3. The text is some what easy to read but your eyes are distracted by the moving background image.
4. I would change the background image to something more neutral. Also I would make the navigation bar one bar instead of group together in a cluster and enlarge the text so it's more noticeable.

Kat

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheney B on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 am

1- This web page is annoying. It is clear what the web page is about, because there are bright colors blinking everywhere and it says in many places on the page what it is about. The main page is not clear, I would have to guess. The text is not easy to read because, it blends into the background. I would make it less "bang in your face".

Cheney B

Back to top Go down

usability

Post  lmclean on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 am

For web page number one, you can tell what the page is about due to the heading. It is bolded and clear.
The text is hard to read because of the flamboyant background and it gives you a headache. I would change this website by changing the background and making everything flow together more.

lmclean

Back to top Go down

useless website

Post  nightfall on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 am

For me this site is not very well created. When you first look at it all you can see is a ridiculous rainbow that really hurts your eyes. Secondly the subjects or sections of the website are not very easily seen or accessed. Thirdly there is a lot of non functional elements in the website. one of these could be the cat seen in the bottom left of the screen which serves no use. To better this website i would choose a less distracting background have the colors of my subjects compliment my heading and have elements that pertain to my site directly. (:

nightfall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Usabilityy

Post  Amanda on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:34 am

1)Yes, because it states it at the top of the page, in bold
2)The navigation is kinda clear, but it blends in with the background some. I had to squint my eyes to focus due to the annoying background
3)The text isn't really hard to read but you kinda have to squint your eyes to focus, since the background is so distracting and makes you dizzy.
4)I would get rid of the moving background and replace it with a nonmoving, nonloud, solid color. I would also make the navigation a bit bigger.

Amanda

Back to top Go down

https://illiweb.com/fa/wysiwyg/font.png

Post  miranda on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:34 am

havenworks.com

1. it's pretty obvious that this website is about politics. everything is labeled politics, democrat, republican, white house, politicians, etc.

2. the main navigation is at the top of the page, but it blends in with everything else. everything is bunched together and you don't know where to read.

3. the text is easy to read, but there is way too much going on.

4. I would definitely size down the main content area of the page. maybe a few most popular/recent news articles could be featured where you can read them easily, but not the whole article. navigation could consist of the types of articles featured (politics; people; noteworthy; law; etc) in order to get to them easily; politicians' names in particular instead of pictures only; words for other navigation instead of pictures only (you can't tell what they're trying to make a link to); a list of states in a less cluttered area. avoid repetition. I would put each article on a different page, or at least one column in a specific, logical order, instead of multiple columns which cause confusion.

miranda

Back to top Go down

Webpage #5: Fabricland

Post  DaKicker on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:35 am

Although it is fairly obvious that this site is about fabrics, it is extremely mind-bottling. Their are so many colors, so many different texts and everything is so disorganized that it is difficult to tell what is what and how to navigate across the page. The best way to improve this site is just to blow up the whole thing then rebuild it again from scratch with everything in a more orderly uniform manner. Perhaps put all the links in one place and get rid of the gamut of colors that litter the page. Mmm hmm.

DaKicker

Back to top Go down

Usability / web page #1

Post  Erik B on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:37 am

The meaning of the website is not immediately obvious because it is hard to understand or read. Navigation through the site is complicated. It is hard to spot the main section and I cannot tell what the main section is. The text is very hard to read because of the multicolored flashing background. The background is distracting and the text coloring blends into the background easily. I would Change the background, change the text coloring, and organize everything into groups to improve the usability of this site.

Erik B

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie pa on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 am

1.Yes because on the tab it says about Jesus and on the website in bold letters it talks about jesus and how Jesus forgives us of our sins.

2.yes because its all in different colors and cool about how the website was layed out and what it said in all black bold letters. Also i don't have to guess what section is where on the website it like just there.

3.it's kinda hard cause the moving background and it can give you an head ache.

4. i would change the background to maybe of a cross or just one color cause the layout is about Jesus always forgiving everyone.

Katie pa

Back to top Go down

Post  cohen r on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:39 am

It is easy to tell what the website is about because the title large and bold and pops out. The navigation is easy and i can tell where the site sections are. the text is easy to read because the font color is contrasted with the background and the font is large. i would remove the little black cat from the bottom of the screen.

cohen r

Back to top Go down

tatatata

Post  reedm on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 am

Yes, it is immediately obvious what the site is about, because the title is large. The main navigation isn't clear, you have a hard time telling whats what. The text isn't easy to read because the back ground is moving. I would change the back ground and make the text larger and more easily read.

reedm

Back to top Go down

Post  wesley on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:53 am

1. yes, because the name JESUS is flashing in big bright letters

2. Its not very clear and you can't spot the navigation right away

3. No because there is a giant moving rainbow in the background

4. I would make the navigation bar more clear by changing the color of the text

wesley

Back to top Go down

Usability

Post  Caitlin on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:54 am

1.)yes, because the title across the website has the title right across the top and it says what the website is about.
2.)the navigation is difficult to find because of the loud background. It makes it hard to see whats on the page.
3.)No, because the background is distracting
4.)I would keep the background a bright and loud color so that it grabs attention, but i would make it so that is doesn't move around and it makes it easier to read whats on the page.

Caitlin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down