Topic 7: Hierarchy

Go down

Topic 7: Hierarchy

Post  Admin on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 am

HEIRARCHY (hi e RAR kee)
1. A body of elements arranged according to rank, authority or capacity
2. A body of entities arranged in a graded series

In the visual arts, hierarchy is the presentation of certain elements as more important than others. By conveying a clear sense of hierarchy an artist provides stability, sequence, and movement within a design.

In the absence of hierarchy, a viewer feels lost and ill at ease. A determined viewer might respond by creating a hierarchy, or by looking for subtle clues that were missed in the first viewing. Most viewers will simply move on.

Hierarchy can be established by using proximity, alignment, value, contrast, repetition, etc.

The time-honored tricks to test heirarchy are to either turn a composition upside-down , or stand back and squint your eyes. Though apparently childish, these techniques show the eye not what it "thinks" is the most obvious, but what really is most obvious.

Find an image of a movie poster. It must be an image file which has both text and picture(s). Post it here then describe it's heirarchy: what is the strongest element in the design? Why is that the first thing you see?

Example

The first thing I notice is their faces and the bright light above them. These stand in contrast to everything else in the picture. This poster does an excellent job with light and dark contrast and that is why I notice the light objects first, we are naturally drawn to them.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

hierarchy

Post  riley on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 am

The first thing I see is the gleam of Darth Vadar's lightsaber. This makes me think of the power that Satan has and the temptations of the world. Also, violence. The images on the posters make me intrigued about the movie. It is a good movie

riley

Back to top Go down

Michael is a Beast

Post  Michael on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:51 am

The first thing I am drawn to in the Terminator poster is the red lasers in the backround because they are so bright and obnoxis. I also see The terminator with sunglasses and a gun. I like how he is half machine and is basically unstoppable and will make a great edition to my army in the future.

Michael

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 7: Hierarchy

Post  kenneth on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:52 am

The first thing I notice in the picture is the sun rising in the background over the city ('Twisted Evil')

kenneth

Back to top Go down

batman and a freak

Post  Casey on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:54 am

originally you see a smiling face but then you notice the mouth is the batman symbol in crimson blood dripping from it. The eyes are black beady joker like eyes with a dark back ground and a whtite wall wall and the words, "why so serious" bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil bom bom bom bom bom Mad Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Casey

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:54 am

The first thing I notice is the eye glowing in the face. I notice this first because it is the brightest thing on the picture and it is close to the center of the page. The dark around the eye makes it pop out better and the dark contrasts from the bright color.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Harry potter

Post  devin on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:54 am

the first thing im drawn to is the title o f the poster, Harry Potter and the deathly hallows then im drawn to the light figure in the background which shows that eyes are drawn to the lighter images in a poster then the darker figures like the trees in the background as the darker part of the poster
Exclamation

devin

Back to top Go down

hierarchy

Post  riley on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 am

The first thing I see when looking at the poster is Darth Vadar's lightsaber. It reminds me of the power of Satan and the temptations of the world. Also, violence. All the other images make me feel intrigued about the movie. All in all, it looks like a good movie.

riley

Back to top Go down

Heiarchy

Post  Elanee on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 am

The most prominent part of the image is the card with batman on it. Then the Joker in the background holding the card shows up next. The card with batman is bright and clear in contrast to the joker who is a little fuzzy and appearing out of the darkness. The whole background is black making the white pop. The joker holding the card foreshadows how the joker is playing with batman during the movie.

Elanee

Back to top Go down

Post  Presley on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 am

The first thing that I notice is Will Farrell. Then, I notice the other characters and realize there are other good actors in this movie. Lastly, I notice the words that make me want to see the movie.

Presley

Back to top Go down

hierarchy

Post  connor on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:57 am

I see the creature sitting in the trap chair first. It makes the movie seem creepy without people watching it. The strongest element is the chair because it represents the traps that will happen in the movie an it freaks people out. Surprised

connor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down