Topic 4: Critique

Go down

Topic 4: Critique

Post  Admin on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:26 am

CRITIQUE (kri TEEK)
1. A critical review or commentary, especially dealing with art
2. A critical discussion of a specific topic
3. The art of criticism

A critique is a staple part of design. It is a chance to examine work in a unique situation, pulled out, or separated from usual experience for this focused evaluation.

There are many forces at work in critique - the culture of the maker, the culture of the viewer, the language of the critic, the context of the viewing, and so on. A critique should be a dialogue that encourages participation from all interested parties. In some cases this is a literal dialogue, or conversation between participants. Even when this is not the case, for instance when a critique is published in a magazine, a responsible reader will "talk back" to the critic as a means of of clarifying personal opinion.

Because criticism is largely (but not entirely) based on comparison, critique must take place within a context. To say, "This is good" begs the question, "Compared to what?" or "Good for what?" We critique, aay, Michelangelo's paintings and find them to be good , within the unspoken parameters of Western ideals of the human figure, a Renaissance understanding of Christianity, and the confines of the medium.

Though one meaning of criticism has a negative connotation ("You're always criticizing me!") the more common usage does not imply a negative response, but simply a straightforward, deliberate consideration of the value of a work. A critic is not a person who doesn't like anything, but a person with special skills of evaluation.

Name something you know enough about to critique someone else's skills (e.g. painting, soccer, cooking, dancing, etc.) How do you determine whether someone is "good" at it?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 4: Critique

Post  jimmy c on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:03 am

You can tell whether someone is good at football by how hard they go. You can tell if their a good linemen by their ability to shoot hands and fire off. If they do it and keep a low base it doesn't matter how big you are, you can be good at it.

jimmy c

Back to top Go down

Post  Jihad S on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:05 am

you can tell how nice or how a person acts by the way they act or talk. also 1st impressions mean everything. Like my friend Eric for instance, the first time i met him i knew he didnt get any girls!

Jihad S

Back to top Go down

Post  Furball on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:06 am

I know enough bout fishing that if any body said they know how to throw a cast net or know what to look for for a school of red fish i would know if they were lying or not. I have been fishing my whole life and have learned the secrets of the trade. cyclops

Furball

Back to top Go down

critique

Post  Jamison on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:07 am

I have played tennis long enough to be able to critique someones abilities. I am able when someone is not using the correct stroke or form. I am also to critique their movement on the court. I have been playing for 10 years which is why i believe i am able to critique the sport.

Jamison

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric D on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:08 am

I know enough about football to critique someone else skills. I know by experience and watching on tv. I might not be able to perform on some tasks but I can show how the techniques are taught.

Eric D

Back to top Go down

Critique

Post  Samantha on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:08 am

Somethings i am good at & that i can critique people at is playing goalie and cheering. yesterday we critiqued the middle school cheerleaders and last season i got to teach the middle school goalie. = )

Samantha

Back to top Go down

Post  ablank on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:09 am

I know how to play volleyball. I know enough about volleyball to critique someone else's skills. If someone is "good" at volleyball, they know how to play the game. They know the basic skills of volleyball. For example how to pass, set and spike. To know where the positions are is also something they need to know to be "good" at volleyball. If they can get the ball where it needs to go and do the things they need to do, they are most likely "good" at volleyball. Good people have to love the game and wanna play at all times.

ablank

Back to top Go down

Post  Hootie on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 am

You can critque someone in basketball by the way they practice. f you see them going hard in practice then you know that that person is deticated to play. If you see them "lolly-gagging" in practice then youll know that that person doesnt reall care about the game. Most likely that person doesnt realy care about the game or isnt deticated

Hootie

Back to top Go down

Critique

Post  KFree on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 am

I am good in critique people in doing math. Because thats my favorite subject and also the easiest to me.

KFree

Back to top Go down

Critique

Post  greg d on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:12 am

Since i have played tennis for about 7 years i have the ability to critique someone that is also playing tennis. over the 7 years of tennis i have seen and been taught many different ways of tennis so i am able to give criticism over multiple ways of playing. you can determine when someone is good at something, like tennis, when they are able to play the game and communicate their ideas about it.

greg d

Back to top Go down

Post  LexiO on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:12 am

I know how to play soccer. If someone doesnt know what to do, i can critique the way play and how they shoot.I can critque how they dribble, and pass. since i know how to play, i can critique others to play the right way.

LexiO

Back to top Go down

Post  Becca M. on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:13 am

I critique people that have been going out with someone for a day or week and they say they already love them. Which people are sometimes just crazy when they say that. Especially if someone asks you to marry them and you have been dating them for two weeks. Question

Becca M.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mary K on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 am

I can critique someone else' cooking by saying if they 'put too much' or 'too less' of something since my taste buds are very sensitive. Sometimes they might added the wrong ingredient and it doesn't fit with the dish.

Mary K

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 am

I critique people on wake boarding. When I take a friend out to go wake boarding and they have never been before I can successfully teach them how to get up. Even though they might struggle at it for the first few times, they will eventually get up. I can give them good tips that have helped me become good. When they get comfortable and good with the basics I give them tips for the next level which is jumping.

Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Olivia T on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:18 am

I critique people getting into relationships with men or women that have produced children during their teen years. To get involved with someone and his child, knowing you may want to break up a month or two later, is irresponsible. It's terrible to get involved in a child's life to not be a consistent figure. Children without a consistent, loving mom or dad tend have a void in their hearts, are mistrusting of others, are (sometimes) confused about their male or female gender role, and may to be prone to have children outside of wedlock and/or be unfaithful to their partners. I wouldn't want the drama of dealing with the mother of my boyfriend's child and her jealous antics, the high possibility the child with disrespect me with the "you're not my real mom" excuse, and the stress of feeling that I need to stay in the relationship because the child is attached to me. It's best to not get involved in the first place. A child is already a sign of an irresponsible person and his obligation will always (or it should be) his child over you. When starting off a relationship it's best to enter on equal ground and on the same page. You should want a partner with like qualities as yourself. You never know when a jealous boyfriend's baby mother will attack you or slander you to the child, which damages the growth of your personal relationship with the man/father of the child.

Olivia T

Back to top Go down

Critique

Post  Trent Ki on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:28 am

I could criticize someone on how well they play football because I know all the rules and I've been playing all my life whether it was on a school team, community team, or just playing with my friends. I would see how good they are by seeing if they play by the rules and listen to the rules given to them by whoever is in charge. I could also judge them by their skills and how well they play. If they will risk anything to catch the ball and hold on to it. Also, if they risk anything to run through the defense to score for their team. I would judge on being a risk taker as long as this person still played by the rules. There are limits to being a risk taker you don't want to risk the game for your team or penalties.

Trent Ki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down