Discussion 4

Go down

Discussion 4

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 am

Do standardized tests (SAT, ACT, AP's, etc.) accurately represent a students academic ability? (at least 5 sentences)

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion 4

Post  ablank on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:40 am

No, cause students do horribly on the those tests but have good grades. I have all A's and i get low scores on those tests. So, pretty much if your really really smart then you can pass them. But, in my opinion i dont think those tests represent a students academic ability. Especially because those tests are soo much harder than the school work.

ablank

Back to top Go down

Post  M Kell on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 am

It depends if standardized tests accurately represent a student's academic ability, but for me personally, no. Because they give you random questions that we haven't even LEARN. It's a hassle and overwhelming for everyone including teachers and the students because the teachers tries to cover EVERYTHING in a rush which stresses the students. I don't think it represent a students academic ability because it doesn't show what we really learn. Most of the students who don't care just guess or "Christmas tree". I think it's better if the teachers test us. I think it's good for a student who likes to be challenged though.

M Kell

Back to top Go down

SAT's

Post  Trent Ki on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 am

No, they do not alone express a student's academic ability or represent it. Some students can make really good grades but not pass the college tests. The SAT's and ACT's are just a way to see if you are pretty much good enough to get into college. Not all students are eligible for college because they did not do good on the test. They have to wait another year to get in and that takes time off of their life and gives them less time to become successful.

Trent Ki

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 am

No they do not, because some students like me suck at taking a standardized test. Also there is so much information to learn and remember that a lot of stuff will slip from your mind when the test starts. Also some students aren't in or haven't been in all of the classes that are on the tests. I don't believe its fair to hold a student to their SAT scores. Because if you're like me you have really good grades and are smart but for some reason don't do good on the test you get a relatively low score. It just isn't fair to the student to judge them for their scores.

Scott

Back to top Go down

sat

Post  Samantha on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:56 am

no i dont think they are accurate. Some kids stress over the SATs so they do poorly. Other kids just aren't good at taking tests. Also one test shouldn't say how well you did over years of work. You can make straight As but miss a few questions on the SAT and it will ruin that section.

Samantha

Back to top Go down

sat

Post  greg on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 am

i believe that standardized tests do accurately represent a students academic ability. because it is specifically designed to cover all the areas of learning. if you don't do well on the tests or completely fail, you usually are just not being taught right. but sometimes people are just not good test takers and might know the info but cant take the test right. so i think there should be options for the sat and act.

greg

Back to top Go down

sat

Post  Jamison on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:02 am

Yes i believe they do accurately represent how smart you are. Kids who claim they don't prepare don't prepare themselves. The sat's are like a test and you have to study and prepare yourself. i usually do decent because i prepare myself. When i don't i do poorly.

Jamison

Back to top Go down

Post  Becca M. on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 am

No, because most kids fail those tests because they are worried about what they will make or if they will pass. Some kids make great grades but then fail when it comes to huge tests. You always have to worry about trying to pass them so you can move on to the next year, its a big deal. You also have a time limit, to where you cant take all the time you need to complete the whole test. So you have to move on with the test quickly with not really understanding the question.

Becca M.

Back to top Go down

Post  levilall on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 am

I believe that standardized tests do accurately represent a students academic ability for the most part. Tests such as the ACT and SAT test a large variety of subjects such as science, math, and writing. This allows for an accurate picture of the students' abilities. Certain individuals, however, have a greater difficulty in succeeding in standardized tests, functioning better in different atmospheres. In these situations the standardized tests do not give an accurate representation of a students' ability.

levilall

Back to top Go down

Post  gfree on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:27 am

yes, it depends on the person because someone can study and prepare for the said test they are taking, or do nothing at all. your score usually represents how well you actually tried.

gfree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down