Discussion 4

Go down

Discussion 4

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:19 am

Do standardized tests (SAT, ACT, AP's, etc.) accurately represent a students academic ability? (at least 5 sentences)

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

No

Post  Bradley on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 am

No they dont. People get nervous. this makes them not do as good as they can. They also dont cover all subjects. Students can excel in one area but not in an other. they dont represent well.

Bradley

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion 4

Post  weathers on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 am

standardized tests may or may not accurately represent a student's academic ability. it depends on what they have been taught, because that is what they are responsible for. if they aren't taught something then why should they be tested on it? when I take standardized tests and get to something I have never learned, I kind of wonder why I've never been taught it if I'm taking this standardized test. perhaps the teachers should have a standardized curriculum so that the students will be prepared for a standardized test.

weathers

Back to top Go down

Test

Post  Josh on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 am

Yes they do. They ask you questions on subjects you should have learned. People say they are bad test takers. This is usually a excuse people lean on. It is convenient that someone claims to know the information until someone asks them a question about it.

Josh

Back to top Go down

fddfggdf

Post  Josh RV on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 am

SATs are not necessary. They do not show how smart you are. For example, you could be really smart but a bad test taker. You could also be dumb and ace an SAT test. This is why I think they are not necessary.

Josh RV

Back to top Go down

Test

Post  Elizabet on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 am

I don't think that standardized test accurately represent a students academic ability. The reason is that each student has a unique way of learning and some people retain more information than others. Also the students might have a mental disorder that slows them down during the test or does not allow them to be able to comprehend as much as another student. Another thing is that the test is timed and does not allow you to go back to other sections. This is not fair to some students because they require more time to take a test and this causes them to not be able to answer all their questions. This causes their grade to be lowered and then they are compared to other students that did well on the test. So I don't think that these test accurately represent a students academic ability.

Elizabet

Back to top Go down

discussion 4

Post  cmonds on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 am

I do believe standardized testing does accurately represent a students academic ability because it shows teachers what all the student have learned and comprehended through out the year. But i also believe that not all students are good test takers so even if the student does horrible on the test it doesn't mean they don't know their material.

cmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:30 am

I think standardized tests don't accurately represent a student's academic ability. Considering it's just one test, the students academic ability should be based off of their semester or quarterly grades throughout the school year. This shows their ability more accurately while the test is just one grade. For all we know, the person could be having a bad day or forgot to study for their standardized test. So yeah, in my opinion the standardized tests don't accurately represent a students academic ability.

Amanda

Back to top Go down

discussion 4

Post  cmonds on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:30 am

I do believe standardized testing does accurately represent a students academic ability because it shows teachers what all the student have learned and comprehended through out the year. But i also believe that not all students are good test takers so even if the student does horrible on the test it doesn't mean they don't know their material.

cmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  wesley on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 am

no tests suck. no one is ever able to think as well when they're under pressure. Pressure makes people forget the things they might know very well. Plus you can just guess on the test, or just not care enough to try it. standardized tests don't determine how much you know they determine how well you can take a test.

wesley

Back to top Go down

sat

Post  jacob h on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:32 am

I think that it doesn't represent the students full capability for many reason. One reason is ,is because some students may not be good at testing. Another reason is, is that the student may have not gotten a good restful sleep the following night. The last thing is that the student may have not been taught the information. These are the reasons why i think the sat isn't fair for some students.

jacob h

Back to top Go down

Testing

Post  Michelle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:40 am

I think standardized test's can accurately represent a students academic. It also depends on the student. Some student do not try but can do better. Also some student are not able to concentrate on a test with other student in a class room.

Michelle

Back to top Go down

SATS

Post  Hannah on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 am

I think SATs are an accurate representation of the student. SATs are a standardized test that shows what you know and how much you've learned. The bad thing about these test is that some people don't try very hard on them because they feel as if they don't count. In fact these do count and can help you get into a good college. If SATs and other standardized are taken seriously they can help you in the long run.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down