Topic 4: Critique

Go down

Topic 4: Critique

Post  Admin on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:28 am

CRITIQUE (kri TEEK)
1. A critical review or commentary, especially dealing with art
2. A critical discussion of a specific topic
3. The art of criticism

A critique is a staple part of design. It is a chance to examine work in a unique situation, pulled out, or separated from usual experience for this focused evaluation.

There are many forces at work in critique - the culture of the maker, the culture of the viewer, the language of the critic, the context of the viewing, and so on. A critique should be a dialogue that encourages participation from all interested parties. In some cases this is a literal dialogue, or conversation between participants. Even when this is not the case, for instance when a critique is published in a magazine, a responsible reader will "talk back" to the critic as a means of of clarifying personal opinion.

Because criticism is largely (but not entirely) based on comparison, critique must take place within a context. To say, "This is good" begs the question, "Compared to what?" or "Good for what?" We critique, aay, Michelangelo's paintings and find them to be good , within the unspoken parameters of Western ideals of the human figure, a Renaissance understanding of Christianity, and the confines of the medium.

Though one meaning of criticism has a negative connotation ("You're always criticizing me!") the more common usage does not imply a negative response, but simply a straightforward, deliberate consideration of the value of a work. A critic is not a person who doesn't like anything, but a person with special skills of evaluation.

Name something you know enough about to critique someone else's skills (e.g. painting, soccer, cooking, dancing, etc.) How do you determine whether someone is "good" at it?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mcswebdesign.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Topic 4: Critique

Post  bradley on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:49 am

I know enough about soccer to critique someone because i have played for 11 years. they have to have good speed and skill

bradley

Back to top Go down

Post  Shelby M on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:50 am

I know how to critique people on soccer. I've played since I was 7. You can tell if someone is good at soccer if they can get around the defender and score a goal.

Shelby M

Back to top Go down

critique

Post  siemaska on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:51 am

you can critique a golf swing. the way you can do that is by telling them to have there stance more back if they have a shorter club. also if they are hitting slices you can tell them to close the club face of the club.

siemaska

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat Berg on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:51 am

I have had many art classes and have been taught the "correct way to use oil paints" whereas my little sister Carol has never taken a painting class and thinks she knows way more then I do about it. When she paints she just slaps that paint all over the canvas without thinking about allowing time for colors to dry and then gets mad when it never turns out the way she wants it to. I wouldn't say that I know "everything" about oil painting but I at least know about the drying period of oil paints.

Kat Berg

Back to top Go down

Post  cohen r on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:52 am

i can critique someone about surfing because i have been surfing for four years. i can tell if someone is good or bad at surfing by watching them and seeing how good their balance is and how well they can ride a wave and stay on the board or not.

cohen r

Back to top Go down

critique

Post  skidmore on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:53 am

You can critique a baseball swing. When you are up to bat in baseball the person who has a better form will get a better hit than the person who doesn't have a form. Its the same for a pitcher, the pitcher who has a better throwing motion will through better pitches than the one who doesn't have a throwing motion.

skidmore

Back to top Go down

You think you know but you just dont! : )

Post  Elizabet on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 am

Something i am excellent at is knowing all the lyrics to songs. I can sing almost any lyrics to any songs. Unlike me trying to tell you something about school. Another person who is really good at this are my friends. We can start a song and know all the words to that song by the second time we listen to it. Unlike most people who have to listen to a song multiple times to know and be able to repeat all the lyrics. Like if they mess up and say the wrong word. So they need to learn the lyrics and find a way to memorize them so they can sing along with the song.

Elizabet

Back to top Go down

critique

Post  reedm on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 am

I know enough about basketball to critique them. Speed and quickness are in important part of basketball, but more important than that is their decision making skills and quick thinking. Also they have to be able to make a shot, and be a team player who passes the ball.

reedm

Back to top Go down

Photography

Post  Hannah on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:57 am

With my skills at photography if I saw someone taking a picture I could help them or tell them how they could enhance the picture. You can tell when someone is experienced in photography when there pictures contain the correct exposure and has nice composition and contrast.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Softball

Post  Michelle on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:57 am

With my skills at softball I am able to critique anyone who I notice needs help. I can help them with their swing & show them where to place their feet. I can also help them with their catching and help them with their throwing.

Michelle

Back to top Go down

you think your good

Post  jacob h on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 am

One thing that I'm good at is scuba diving. When we go on scuba trips i often help people set up there gear. I help the instructor teach because I'm a rescue diver. I always tell people how to get better at equalizing or how to get neutrally buoyant.

jacob h

Back to top Go down

Post  miranda on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 am

when critiquing things, I usually go off of my own opinion or what I think works. websites/designs are one of the things I observe a lot, taking into consideration the functionality, visual appeal, necessity, organization, and annoyance factors like ads and obnoxious stuff that doesn't look or work right. I often think of how I think something could be easily improved.

miranda

Back to top Go down

Post  cohen r on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:59 am

i can critique someone about surfing because i have been surfing for four years and can tell if some one is a good surfer or not. surfing isn't all about just standing on a board and riding a wave because plenty of people can do that. it's about how you position your feet and how well you can cut back and forth. its also about how long you can ride the wave for and not just for a few seconds.

cohen r

Back to top Go down

Critique

Post  Josh on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:01 am

I can critique some about surfing because i have surfed for awhile and know if someone looks akward on a board. If someone is bad at surfing they will either fall off the board or stand akwardly on the board having know control over it. afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro

Josh

Back to top Go down

Critique

Post  DaKicker on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 am

I can tell if someone is good at kicking and if they know what they are doing not only by the way the ball flies, but how they follow through after the kick, if they are straight and tall on the approach and if they swing around during. I know all this from my being coached, from personal experience, and from when my kicker senses tingle.

DaKicker

Back to top Go down

HOW MANY OF THESE ARE THERE!

Post  b-foster on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:36 am

one thing i can critique softball. ive been playing my entire life and i know enough about it.

b-foster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down